Preparing the Nest for Adoption
The last two days have been filled with news of adoption, dreams, wishes and waiting. It is heavy on my heart, so today is a simple list for those who are waiting. Some of these things I did during my struggle with infertility. Some I wish I’d thought about back then.
*8 Things to do to make your nest cozy while waiting for your chicks to hatch.
- Write your thoughts and prayers in a journal.
- Create a prayer journal with pictures of other families praying through infertility or the adoption process. Pray for them daily.
- Begin a fundraising project.
- Decorate, decorate, decorate. Once you know, the news is good, decorate your future child’s room in a theme that compliments the likes, culture and style of their home country.
- If the adoptee is an older child, create a photo album with family history to introduce the child to the family. Be sure to add as many pictures of the child as you can get.
- Collect recipes and/or cookbooks that are culturally beneficial.
- Invite other adoptive/infertile couples into your home for social and/or support group activities.
- Read as many books as possible on subjects that will help with the wait and the first few days with your new baby/child.
If you’ve been through the process and have other tips, please share them.